Depth/Speed transducer location questions.

prjacobs

Depth/Speed transducer location questions.

Post by prjacobs »

I'm planning on adding a B&G Triton Wind/Depth/Speed set of instruments to my Ballad.
Has anyone mounted a depth/speed transducer here?
bilge.jpg
bilge.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 24886 times
Are there problems with hull thickness, fairing the outside, or a chance of weakening the hull?
Would you mount on centreline or offset enough to miss the 'V' shape of the hull?
As always, any and all suggestions are welcome!
MarkRyan1981

Re: Depth/Speed transducer location questions.

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Hello Peter,

Good to hear from you! My log is mounted here, offset from the V:

http://www.albinballad.co.uk/how-tos/fi ... ng-safely/

My depth transducer is mounted inside the hull, along the center-line, without any through hull. The B and G instructions show it set offset, and if you can do it that way, I'd do it that way every time: http://www.bandg.com/Documents/products ... -001_w.pdf. Would that stop the transducer working on one tack tho? Or provider poor readings? I'd contact B and G for guidance on offsetting it...

Let us know how you get on!!
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Mark,
Thanks for the link to your article .. excellent information, and Ballad specific too! I plan on using the DST800 transducer that is also a speed unit, so the hole has to go through the hull :( I'll check with B&G and see how much angle is allowable on the transponder.
Thanks for the info!
Peter.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Our speed paddlewheel is under the port settee, just about center of the keel and fairly tight up against the bench face.

The depth transducer, less affected by turbulence, went thru on the stbd side, under the galley sink. I'm planning a combination speed/depth unit (probably a B&G) where the current paddlewheel is. The Ballad's sections there are reasonably flat, and if we are heeling enuf for it to mis-read by a foot or two & cause a grounding, we're probably carrying too much sail for that water depth! (I suspect most of time soundings become truly critical, you are motoring anyhow and therefore upright.)

Ballad may be flattest behind the keel, but that's a turbulent place. Farther forward you go, the cleaner the readings but hull angles become sharper. Due to the Ballad's construction in a 2-part mold, I'd worry a little about drilling thru the center seam too much. Also hard to get a good seal. Which sort leaves either side of the keel transition.
Orion

Post by Orion »

My paddle wheel is located at dead center of the cabin floor access plate, just forward of the keel, as in your illustration, without a fairing as I thought this might cause a bit of turbulence. It had been mounted on the port side outboard and forward of the raw water intake. Installed a depth transducer, with a fairing block, at that location and moved the paddle wheel to the present location. Never gave any consideration to the structual integrity, center line, or hole as the thing is built like a tank. Is your new unit removable? Due to the rapid growth marine gunge mine is plugged except when in use.

Cheers,
Dan
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

I've put the instrument upgrade on hold for now. Between new roofs for the house & garage, and having a 'new' toy to play with, I'm going to enjoy the boat as it is for now.
One thing I will upgrade is to add wireless to my AIS/GPS system so that it'll send the info to my Android tablet in the cockpit with no wires to worry about. I found a neat little NMEA to WiFi bridge at YAKBITZ.COM, in Australia, and it's on it's way. Looking forward to getting it all connected as it will also work with my laptop.
OpenCPN has a good app that runs on Android with AIS capability, and I also have Memory Map Navigator as backup software.
Life just gets easier every day :-)jj
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Hi Peter:

I've mounted my Nasa depth transducer in the location you're indicating, slightly offset. Mind you, I've mounted it on the inside of the hull, not through the hull. Previously, the transducer was suspended in an oil bath (castor oil, I think), within a special tube, but I didn't like that arrangement too much. I took it out, cleaned it, smeared the head with Sikaflex 291 and positioned it on the inside of the hull. I slightly abraded that spot to make sure it was really clean and flat. When you choose in-hull mounting, you lose most of the greater depth range, i.e. it won't measure all the way to 100 or 200 metres. Mine shows up to about 40 metres but that's plenty for me.

As for a speed transducer, I don't have one since anything I've tried hasn't been accurate and fouls easily. I use the SOG on the GPS instead.

N.
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334