Inner forestay deck attachment and support.

patentnick

Re: Inner forestay deck attachment and support.

Post by patentnick »

After much deliberation, I decided to go exotic with the check stays for the inner forestay. I sourced--and got a really good price on--Alpha Ropes' 100% Dyneema with polyester cover, with a breaking load of slightly over 3 tonnes (similar to the one of 6mm 1X19 wire). This will run through two large blocks attached to u-bolts mounted about 20cm aft of the point where the genoa tracks terminate. They will be tightened with the spinnaker winches. Originally, I was thinking of a 4:1 tackle, which is what I've seen on a number of boats, but after spending hours reading blogs and books on rigging, the block+winch solution was what was recommended by most riggers. The main reasoning was that it is impossible to achieve the tension with a 4:1 or a 6:1 tackle, and greater purchases are prohibitively expensive.

Choosing rope over wire has the advantage of lighter weight and much easier storage, either on deck or below. The final cost is also less, as you only need the upper T-terminals and two blocks, rather than 4 terminals+wire+rope+block+tackle.

N.
Attachments
P4162340.jpg
P4162340.jpg (203.86 KiB) Viewed 11857 times
P4162341.jpg
P4162341.jpg (186.92 KiB) Viewed 11857 times
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
Tom

Re: Inner forestay deck attachment and support.

Post by Tom »

Great write up, looking forward to reading about the backstays. I've been considering fitting a solent stay (so not to fit runners) but I do like Bob's thought on the ghoster. Lot's to do/think about and spend money on!

Tom
Yellow Ballad, Sundance 979
2wheels1keel