Mast Refit (part 4)

patentnick

Mast Refit (part 4)

Post by patentnick »

As a final touch to the chainplate re-installation, I had four stainless steel backing plates fabricated for the fore and aft lower shrouds. These prevent the heads of the bolts digging into the wood (as was the case with the original design). Furthermore, the new backing plates rest on a 10mm strip of solid teak. Given the increase in total thickness, I couldn't use the original dome-headed bolts, so I replaced those too.

Nicholas
Attachments
P3062283.jpg
P3062283.jpg (133.98 KiB) Viewed 13866 times
P3062284.jpg
P3062284.jpg (132.25 KiB) Viewed 13866 times
P3062285.jpg
P3062285.jpg (220.92 KiB) Viewed 13866 times
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
ibbo

Re: Mast Refit (part 4)

Post by ibbo »

Every time I see pictures of things on your boat, I see other little things that look neat. I'm trying to fit some decent speakers, without making holes in bulkheads etc.
I got some 6x9 enclosures, but they look way too bulky. I think I could maybe fit the speakers like you have done.

Have you one each side, or fore and aft.

I was thinking as I sit facing sideways mostly the second one needs to be in the Galley area.

Mike
patentnick

Re: Mast Refit (part 4)

Post by patentnick »

Hi Mike:

Kind words are highly appreciated, given that my hands are still scarred and swollen from the refit :D .

The speakers were installed in this manner by the previous owner and, of course, I left them as is. There's one on each side. I've been toying with the idea of a wireless standalone speaker with built-in lithium batteries; their performance is incredible these days, they last 8-10 hours and can be positioned anywhere you want--even in the cockpit. Yes, you need to charge them, but a built-in stereo also draws from the service batteries.

Whatever you do with yours, make sure they're well away from the compass.

Nicholas
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334