New roller genoa

Moslund

New roller genoa

Post by Moslund »

Hi all..

I wan´t a new Genoa for my roller system but don't know which one suits me best.
Right know I have an old genoa 1. It´s fine i light winds but from 8-10 m/s and up when tacking its to big i think. The boat is heeling too much and it is VERY hard on the whinches (actually almost impossible to get all the way in). I don´t know if it's just because it's too big or if it's to hollow. I'm not experienced enough to determine this. So I am looking for a new sail and thinking of a Nr. 2 or 3. My sailmaker suggested a 20 m2 nr. 3 with foam so it can be reefed a bit. I'm just concerned that the boat will be way underpowered in light winds...?
I only have my roller headsail and a mainsail - no storm jibs, spinnakkers etc. I use the boat for cruising with my family (in Danish waters) and we wan´t to be able to go on "longer" trips to like sweeden, Norway, Germany etc. We don't do any racing but ofcourse it would be nice to be able to maintain a not to degrading speed in lighter winds :lol:
So we seek a all round sail that will cope okay under most circumstances.

What would you experienced ballad owners suggest for my needs?
ibbo

Re: New roller genoa

Post by ibbo »

I have had my genoa made in a reasonably heavy material with the clew cut slightly higher. This means it has lost a little size compared to the original No 1, But being higher I can see where I am going a little better. It also keeps it out of the waves when beating.
The one I took off was No2 sized, and I'm happy to have the extra bit of area.
My plan was in light air to get a lightweight sail at some stage, but I have found the spinnaker very useful so far.
new genoa.jpg
new genoa.jpg (128.96 KiB) Viewed 13007 times
ibbo

Re: New roller genoa

Post by ibbo »

I forgot to say, I have no problem winching it in to the spreaders, or tacking, as long as the hatch is shut.

Mike