Re-cutting a Genoa 3.

patentnick

Re-cutting a Genoa 3.

Post by patentnick »

Hi to all:

At nearly 14 years old, my cross-cut Genoa 3--my workhorse sail that's permanently on the furler--had started to really show its age. So I bit the bullet and had a new one made. This time, I decided to go a bit more exotic and after talking to the people of Quantum Greece, we decided on a Pentex tri-radial Genoa. As expected, this new sail has improved the boat's pointing ability, especially in heavier weather. It's also slightly larger than the previous sail (20 sq.m rather than 18 sq. m). However, I was loathe to ditch the old sail and decided to have it re-cut to the size of a Genoa 4 (I followed the original dimensions available in the Ballad handbook). I also decided to have it converted to hanks so that I could put my inner forestay to use. The performance of the re-cut sail came as a surprise. I took Moments of Clarity out for a quick sail a few weeks ago in 15-to-25 knot weather and, in the gusts, on a reach, the boat would hit 6.5 knots (with one reef in the main). I reckon it's not bad for such a small sail and a fully loaded boat.
PC010256.jpg
PC010256.jpg (504.04 KiB) Viewed 26248 times
PC010255.jpg
PC010255.jpg (529.97 KiB) Viewed 26248 times
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
MarkRyan1981

Re: Re-cutting a Genoa 3.

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Good effort Nicholas, and a great use of an old sail. I often, in light airs, find myself craving the proper sized number 1, rather than the roller furled headsail I have (that is, actually, very good) - http://www.albinballad.co.uk/technology/new-sails/ - can't believe its been eight years since I had this set made!!

On a separate note - Moments of Clarity looks very smart (nice Rocna on the bows too!)! I'm hoping painting Triolas decks will make her look a bit more presentable over this winter.
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

You've got yourself some beautiful sails, Mark!

I used the Genoa 1 which the boat came with just once and then gave it to a friend for his Anderson 30. The winds in the Aegean are very finicky; they can go from 15 knots to 30 within minutes and such a big sail is a handful. Even a No. 2 can be too big sometimes. If funds allow, I may have a new mainsail made too--although it's not a pressing issue since the existing sail is six years old.

By the way, are you going to paint the entire deck & superstructure or just the anti-slip part? I did the latter a few years back and used KiwiGrip. It's a brilliant paint--very easy to apply and very hard-wearing (http://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/).

N.
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

They are lovely, and have aged very well and lost no performance (apart from a slightly flappy leech on the jib).

I'm doing the whole deck with 2k, so quite a process! I'm using 2 coats of International InterProtect, followed by 2 coats of Perfection Primer followed by 3 coats of Perfection with antislip. Going two tone, platinum on the non slip (with the granules), and off white for the rest... If its not non slippy enough, I'll get some kiwigrip and slap that on another year I think.

I've just about got a deck tent up, tomorrow I'm going down to take as many of the deck fittings off as I dare, clean the deck, degrease the deck and then sand the deck - eek. :oops:

patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Oh, man! I do not envy you AT ALL.

I went through the same process about a decade ago. I used Awlgrip, which is a very demanding paint but incredibly tough. (The great thing about Perfection is that it's formulated for brush/roller application and far easier for us amateurs)

For the anti-slip, I used Hempel 2-part polyurethane with their special granules. Several years later, I overcoated that with KiwiGrip. I reckon that KiwiGrip is far superior, both in looks, maintenance and actual anti-slip properties. See if they have a sample at a chandlery near you.

I wish you the best :)

N.
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Thanks Nicholas.

You are not the only one to have suggested the non slip granules are as much good as a chocolate tea pot. I don't suppose you have any photos of both jobs once they were finished?? I'm wondering if I go straight to kiwigrip rather than the 2k over those areas...
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Hi Mark:

I can't locate any photos of the old 2-part PU anti-slip but I was actually on board when I received your message and I took some photos of the more recent job I did with KiwiGrip. However, if you don't mind, I'll post them under the existing "Deck colour" topic since other people may be interested and may have ideas to contribute.

N.
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Indeed, apologies, I drifted the sail thread! I am envious of your sailing - can't wait to have her back in the water in April.

I would love to have an inner forstay like yours - that's definitely on my 'list' - did you fit it yourself?
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

The mast tang was fitted by the rigger when I'd taken the mast down 15 years ago. The rest I did myself, including the support that's under the deck eye-bolt and the tension adjuster (fashioned by inserting a turnbuckle in an industrial wheel). I'm certain that I've posted something on this in the past. But if I can't find it, I will do so again.

N.
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334