Show me your outhaul

Tom

Show me your outhaul

Post by Tom »

Sundance's outhaul is made off to the end of the boom with no adjustment, I want to add some blocks so it can be adjusted mast end or possibly even lead aft in the future. I've still got the rolling boom reefing not that it matters a huge amount.

How have you got yours setup? Pics would be great.

Tom
Yellow Ballad, Sundance 979
2wheels1keel
prjacobs

Re: Show me your outhaul

Post by prjacobs »

I have a loose foot main. My out-haul is a 4 to 1 tackle, and even that is a grunt to tighten when the wind pipes up. I use 2 small Harken double blocks. I use Amsteel line (nice and thin) to carry the load, a clam cleat under the boom, and a round plastic ball on the end to get a good grip on it.
Will take a picture and post it soon.
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

What ho Tom,

My main is loose footed with slab reefing. The outhaul comes out of the boom next to the reefing winches (one either side of the boom), and I use that winch to tension it up (or loosen it) as required.

I'll grab some photos when down over the weekend. Hope you are enjoying your Ballad!

Mark
Triola
Tom

Post by Tom »

Great, pics would be fantastic.

She's an old girl that needs a but of upgrading I would love to pull her apart and start from scratch but you can't do everything at once. I'm just slowly getting through what's there and what needs doing. Really thought I just want to get out for a sail but good things come and all that.
Yellow Ballad, Sundance 979
2wheels1keel
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Pictures as promised. This is not an ideal set-up, I'm sure it could be better, but it works well enough so it's what I'm going with until I upgrade the boom and goose neck from the old roller reefing boom. I use slab reefing, and want to change out the old boom section for a box section with internal reefing lines ... one day :D
Attachments
outhaul2.jpg
outhaul2.jpg (445.74 KiB) Viewed 18618 times
outhaul1.jpg
outhaul1.jpg (335.01 KiB) Viewed 18618 times