Mast specification

MarkRyan1981

Mast specification

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Hello all,

Triola is due back in the drink in a few weeks, so mast servicing time. Does anyone know if this is the original mast? Looks to be a Selden rig?

The sheaves all need replacing with something modern as they are a nightmare to pull up.

Bodged main halyard sheave pin :lol:

Sheaves I want to replace:

Bob McGovern

Re: Mast specification

Post by Bob McGovern »

Is a Selden mast & identical to ours (1972). Our top sheaves are also questionable. Will replace them with new; have to choose between ball bearing (for smoothness) or solid bushing (for strength & simplicity). And those axle bolts should be solid body, not all-thread!

Are you going with wire halyards again, or synthetics? We'll be probably switching to Vectran/Warpspeed/Technora or similar on main & genoa halyards; possibly Dyneema for spinnaker/Code Zero. Single braid synthetics will run fine in wire groove sheaves; double braids or covered halyards prefer a rope-specific sheave profile.
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Thanks Bob, hope you are well! My running rigging had already been done and replaced with non HMPE rope before I got her... I may well replace the main halyward with Dyneema or the like... depends if funds stretch!! (not the rope)

I am replacing with solid composite sheaves I think, measured all mine up and will place the order with a local rigger.
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Hello all, found the Selden part numbers.

The 70 mm sheave is 504-326 - http://www.seldenmast.com/en/products/r ... 4-326.html
The clevis pin is part 165-403 - http://www.seldenmast.com/en/products/r ... 5-403.html

Phew, boat in water TUESDAY, gads, parts arrive tomorrow, engine still in a million pieces too :lol: