Storm jib

pirata

Storm jib

Post by pirata »

Hi,
I have a roller furling genoaII and I'm thinking to add a storm jib. I have one halyard at the spreaders level and another one about 1 meter higher. I'm thinking to use the storm jib at the higher halyard. Do you have experience on this topic? Any advices?
Thanks,
Miguel
pirata

Re: Storm jib

Post by pirata »

I forgot to say that I don't want to add Running backstays near the upper halyard.

I've found this in "Hints and Advices" from Selden masts:

Cutter stay: Sail-carrying inner stay for jib or staysail. On a
masthead rig, if it can be attached within 6% of the fore-triangle
height below the forestay fitting, it can be tensioned by the
backstay. If it is attached lower down, runners or possibly
forward-angled jumpers must be used.

The upper halyard is about 1 meter of the spreaders level wich is a well supported zone with all those lower shrouds.

Miguel
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Hi, Miguel. I have much the same intentions (Genoa2 on furler, inner stay for storm sails). That Selden quote describes a Solent stay, tho -- a second headstay not far inside the existing and usually parallel to it. The existing backstay would handle its loads as long as the upper attachment is within 2' (0.6 meter) of the masthead.

That lower exit sheave for a flying inner staysail might need checkstays to prevent pumping. Possibly the lower aft shrouds would carry the load, but they have only about a 4 degree sweep. Minimum sweep for checkstays or running backs is usually ~12 degrees. Dunno. Our Selden mast is such a massive bloody tree-trunk, I have trouble imagining it would pump under 150 sqft of sail. But maybe others have experience with setting an inner jib....

I've figured out the halyard sheave right above the spreaders is the spinnaker pole topping lift.
pirata

Post by pirata »

My storm sail is only 54sqft / 5m2 wich is the advised sail area for a 10m boat.

Storm Trysails
Horizontal cut storm jib is designed for heavy weather. Made of heavy cloth of 340-380 g/m² with reinforced head, foot and leech. The luff is equiped with practical one handed jib hanks. Supplied with sturdy sail bag.
Several surfaces are available:
size 4 m²: for 8 m boats, cloth weight: 310 g/m², luff: 5.45m, leech: 3.80m, foot: 2.55 m
size 5 m²: for 10 m boats, cloth weight: 340 g/m², luff: 6.05m, leech: 4.20m, foot: 2.85 m
size 6 m²: for 12 m boats, cloth weight: 360 g/m², luff: 6.55m, leech: 4.55m, foot: 3.15 m
size 8 m²: for 14 m boats, cloth weight: 380 g/m², luff: 7.20m, leech: 5.55m, foot: 3.55 m
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Dat's a tiny storm jib.;) Tho you are right, it's probably better than the Ballad's original 150sqft inner staysail in true storm conditions -- if it has enough drive to keep the boat tracking downwind or forereaching off a lee shore. One of the findings of the 1979 Fastnet inquiry was that most IOR boats carried storm jibs that were too large for 60-70kt winds -- if they carried them at all. Same for the Sydney-Hobart disaster.

Would you use this tiny sail with a storm trysail, or with a triple-reefed main, or all by itself?
pirata

Post by pirata »

I didn't use it yet. I have the Ballad 253 since February and since then no storms yet.
I only have this storm sail. I'll have to use the main reefed and storm jib
pirata

Post by pirata »

I saw once a Pioneer 10 with the storm jib in the halyard at spreaders level and it worked fine without the running backstays.
Benoit

Post by Benoit »

Hello all,
Just to come back on this subject, we use this storm jib : http://www.atninc.com/atn-gale-sail-sai ... ment.shtml
Very simple and very useful!!
Symystic

Post by Symystic »

Hiya, just joined the forum and read this string. I would like to know if anyone has used a flying jib on a Ballad. I'd really like to have a useble storm jib. Doese anyone have the demensions for this sail? Thanks for your time. mark