Cabin Windows

Symystic

Cabin Windows

Post by Symystic »

The two forward windows of my Ballad leak. The weather seal/gasket between the glass and frame need to be replaced. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know of a source for the gasket? Thanks mark
Bob McGovern

Re: Cabin Windows

Post by Bob McGovern »

Hard to find that gasket material, tho I believe the company that made the aluminum frames is still in business. They may have some? I'd just use fat butyl tape in its place. Two things we noticed messing with our fixed ports:

-- The inner and outer trim rings are connected via stainless screws tapped into aluminum channel, and (as is typical on older boats) the aluminum has turned to powder via galvanic corrosion. You may find the screws are hard to budge, and that they strip out the aluminum once you do break them loose. I'd plan on thru-bolting the trim rings. Stronger & more water-tight, anyhow. ;)

-- The coachroof sides around the windows are still a sandwich, tho the foam line there is very thin -- about 1/8" or less. That foam allows a shocking amount of water ingress into the side decks if the window seals are not perfect. We gouged out the foam and filled the gap with thickened epoxy, all the way around the openings.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

If it's any help, I found this company when I was doing my Ballad restoration. My windows turned out to be OK so I didn't follow up with them.
Arivaca

Post by Arivaca »

To Bob McGovern: may have iffy windows, and noticed your thread. Could you please tell me who made the frames? My boat is in the 1100’s Thanks.