Where do you put your batteries?

MarkRyan1981

Where do you put your batteries?

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Hello all,

I am installing a wizard new Waeco fridge and Propex heater on Triola - more toys means more power consumption and a realisation that a second domestic battery is now a requirement. I currently have a 80AH engine battery and a 100AH domestic battery housed behind the chart table in an enclosure made by the previous owner... I don't like having weight that far over one side of the boat, however, there we go, thats where it is (photo is behind the chart table in the port side locker, look forword, with me nestled in the cockpit locker itself!):

I was thinking perhaps building a new enclosure under the cockpit, and bit like these guys did here:

http://yachtauriga.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... rs_12.html

Where do you keep your power? Do I just add another big heavy thing to my port side? Or move it to a point more central?

Thanks
Liese

Re: Where do you put your batteries?

Post by Liese »

We have them in the initial / original location.
Works fine for us.
Actually
1. engine starter battery - not sure about Ah.
2. domestic 70 Ah (min. 9 years old - bought with the ship)

But I have to buy one new battery for Silverrudder I guess :-)

Best regards,
Jörg
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

I have 2 Group 24 AGM's under the forward end of the V-berth. It's tight for height clearance, but it works for me. My electrical loads are minimal, but if I needed another battery I think I'd go with one under the cockpit. All my major wiring runs are very short with this setup (except the wires to the windlass, which run up to the bow).
As you can see in the picture, I also use that space for "hopefully never needed" spare parts.
Attachments
P1050146.resized.JPG
P1050146.resized.JPG (462.95 KiB) Viewed 44621 times
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

Hi Mark,

Did you ever move the batteries?

Mine are in the bottom of the same locker as yours,so I could just drop one in the same locker you have yours in,but I keep eyeing up the wasted space below the cockpit floor. A battery mounting under there would provide additional support and bracing for the rear of the hull, and the cockpit floor.

My other thoughts for that area go round the fact it is the right size for 2 x jerry cans, or water containers, though access is poor. What else could I use it for?

Mike
Tom

Post by Tom »

I'm planning on an under cockpit battery tray this year. Few jobs to tick off and I'll get started.
Yellow Ballad, Sundance 979
2wheels1keel
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

I shall be making a start on a new battery box this week I think. I have now 2 x 100ah, and 1 x 85ah to re house.
Depending how much room there is I may leave the 85ah where it is.
I run a Waeco cool box, eber type heating, and had a tiller pilot on for quite a few hours this weekend. The single battery did keep up to voltage with 140w of solar.
tedmroyer

Post by tedmroyer »

I have moved my 4 X 105 AH batteries to a new location under the aft end of the main salon berths, two on each side, still electrically tied to a single bank. I can add up to six more (three more to each side) if I need them. It cost me the four drawers but it helps get the weight out of the bow since I have 400 extra Lbs of chain, anchor, windlass and bowsprit up there.
Ted Royer
hull# 1054
tedmroyer@yahoo.com
+1-719-822-7538