Engine, transmission

Orion

Engine, transmission

Post by Orion »

My boat, Acqua di Vita is still powered by the original MD-7 engine and transmission. About a year ago I was checking the transmission oil level and noted it to be low. There wasn't any external evidence of a leak, topped off as neccessay. Checked a few sails later, about three weeks, and found oil level low again. Topped of again and oil seemingly disappeared quickly. Pulled boat, removed transmission and found evidence of leakage from tranny to engine, as expected. Gaskets/seals are extremely difficult to find, consequently the repair took a good deal of time and $$$$. Turned this problem into a protracted yard period, boat will go wet in a few weeks for testing and I will post the results.

Am wondering if any other MD-7 powered Ballad owner has had a similar problem or is it a unique occurance?

Cheers,
Dan
Orion

Re: Engine, transmission

Post by Orion »

Two weeks ago, after a long yard period, Acqua di Vita was returned to her slip (see previous message). Under sail all is well, but when motoring there is have a horrible propwalk to port. It is clear to me that when the transmission and shaft were reinstalled there were not properly aligned. The folks who did the work were informed of this concern, so next week the boat yard manager and I will be "powerboating" for a short time arrive at a solution.

Repainted the non-skid, will post picture and details when avaiable.

Cheers,
Dan