Windows, what to do?

dahlke

Windows, what to do?

Post by dahlke »

I removed the windows before painting the inside. It turns out the windows are a little corroded (one screw simply fell out). I have noticed water leaking from the windows when it rains. What should I do?

Recently asked a Danish company that still manufactures windows what new windows would cost. Stand by for a jaw dropping high number ;) For all four windows (not including installation) 4500 USD :shock: I was literally speechless. It's safe to say I'm not placing an order for new windows any time this decade.

As I see it there are two options. Figure out how to make the old ones watertight and how to make them look as good as possible. Alternatively make new acrylic windows (bolted on, no frame). I would really like to keep the old ones!

1) How do I mount the old windows so they are watertight?
2) Is it possible to paint the aluminum frame? Or is that asking for trouble?

Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures
Bob McGovern

Re: Windows, what to do?

Post by Bob McGovern »

Oof, there is some real corrosion there. We face the same task; hoped to get it done this summer, may not. First decision is whether to keep the 1/8" safety glass, or change to acrylic (Plexi) or polycarbonate (Lexan). Each material has definite plusses and minuses. We're leaning towards acrylic.

Second task is sealing the opening. Our window surrounds have about 3mm exposed foam core around the opening. On the bottom and sides, at least, maybe all around, that core should be dug out and filled with epoxy -- preferably a good 1/2" deep, so the screw holes are filled. Six10 is your friend again.;)

Third task is deciding whether to save the weatherstrip, or see if a glass shop has the same kind in stock. It seems unlikely. It is okay, and perhaps better, if not. You can use double-sided glazing tape or, for the ultimate seal, sticky butyl tape to bed the glass.

Fourth, I think this is an opportunity to thru-bolt the frames, like they should have been originally. You could drill thru and then countersink the outer frame; or this may be an opportunity to swap port for starboard frames, in which case the inside (countersunk) frames become the new outside frames. Clamp, thru-drill about four bolts, install with acorn nuts, drill the rest. Remove & clean the frames; bed the glass in butyl in the outer frame; bed the frame in butyl to the cabin side. If changing to a thicker material like Plexi, some shimming of the inner frame may be required.

You can also just skip the frames and surface mount Plexi to the cabin. This has been done to at least a couple Ballads; definitely changes the appearance, tho.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Yikes ... quite a price. I got a quote for DKK9000 from ERTEC Danmark ApS on June 20, 2011. This price included shipping to Canada. I'll send you a copy of the email details if you email me direct from the link at the bottom of http://www.sintacha.com.
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

I decided to try and get a watertight seal using some butyl tape I had laying around. Folding the tape in half seemed to give a responsible thickness compared to the old rubber strip. No water got in whiled it rained this afternoon. Let's see what happens when the boat is back on the water :)

Mads
Restoration blog
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

prjacobs wrote:Yikes ... quite a price. I got a quote for DKK9000 from ERTEC Danmark ApS on June 20, 2011. This price included shipping to Canada. I'll send you a copy of the email details if you email me direct from the link at the bottom of http://www.sintacha.com.
ERTEC is definitely cheaper. I got a quote for 8500 DKK for all four windows (guess the extra 500 DKK is for shipping to Canada). It is also possible to buy just a single windows in that case the price is 2700 DKK. Seems reasonable.

Apparently ERTEC acquired N.C.BJERG back in 1997. My Ballad has the original N.C.BJERG windows. When my windows fail completely many many years from now (knock on wood ;) ) swapping them should be easy. Thanks for pointing me in this direction Peter :)

Mads
Restoration blog
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Mads,
Interesting solution you've come up with. Maybe when you have some spare time ;) you can post details of your repair method. I'm sure there're a lot of failing windows out there!
Thanks!