Holding / blackwater tank

Crosie

Holding / blackwater tank

Post by Crosie »

Dear Balladeers,

Does anyone know whether it is a requirement to have a toilet holding tank to visit the west coast of Norway and Sweden, and the Baltic coasts of Denmark? The published rules aren't very clear but seem to generally exempt older and smaller boats, on the understanding of decent behaviour when inshore.

If it is necessary, does anyone have suggestions about a successful installation? It looks like I could buy a spun polyethylene box to fit in the space above the head if i remove the sink and tray. A smaller box would make it ieasier to route the pipes but I am not sure what a minimum volume should be. 30 litres?

Regards,

Cameron
Cracklin Rosie #73
MarkRyan1981

Re: Holding / blackwater tank

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Hello Cameron,

I can't say about the requirements, but with regards to a company who can supply tanks, I spoke to http://www.tek-tanks.com/ at the Southampton boat show last year (as I am thinking of heading over the Holland at some point, where there is a requirement), and their standard, non custom black water tank was very reasonably priced, and I reckon would fit on the bulkheads behind the heads.

I priced it up as the below (havent got the dosh yet, so I can't confirm if it all fits), but gives some idea of whats involved.

Verticle Tank (code TT-196881) = £132.74
Deck pump out (code 2-76801) =£54.46
Shell vent (code 2-74405) = £44.30
Microvent filter (code MICROVENT) £70.73
Pipes etc £50.00
Total £352.23

Hope this helps,

Regards, Mark (Ballad 51, Triola)
Liese

Post by Liese »

Check here for an idea:
http://www.ballad.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=280

Maybe Google Translate helps.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

I was in contact with Bengt-Åke Fri of VEGA MARIN last February. On their website they were offering a
Ballad tank made from stainless steel that fit up behind the head.
Here is part of the email reply to my inquiry:
"Septic tank is a specially designed tank Ballad and placed behind the toilet.
The kit includes tank, hoses, bushings scan tires, hose clamps, instructions.
The trip takes about 15 days.
The kit costs 4400 SEK
Transport about: 1500 SEK"

Looking at the Albin Marin website this evening I could no longer find the tank. It was last February that I was interested, but the price put it up there where I could probably make one myself for less than the cost plus the expense of shipping to Western Canada.

I made a similar tank for the Vega from epoxy and plywood, using the KISS system. It's the simplest type of tank to install, with only 1 valve for the water intake and 1 for the overboard discharge.
The drawing in the link above shows a diagram of the "Lagoon Holding Tank installation. The only change I made to this idea was to run the head-to-tank inlet pipe up through the inside of the tank, rather than on the outside. This leaves only 2 short pieces of hose showing just below the tank, a tidy installation that works well.
weemistermac

Post by weemistermac »

prjacobs wrote:I made a similar tank for the Vega from epoxy and plywood, using the KISS system.
Hi prjacobs. This is something I'm looking at doing myself. Do you know where I could find tech drawings and/or dimensions? Thanks, Stuart
Stuart. NE Scotland.
"Schönbrunn"
Ballad hull No. 170
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Hi Stuart,
I built my own plywood/epoxy tank to fit behind the head.
Some pictures in this post, and more here.
Basically it fits flush with the hull to get maximum volume, and in between the bulkheads, angled so that all the chain plate bolts are exposed. I put in a Raritan PHC head (highly recommended), and flipped the pump around to be on the forward side of the head compartment. This was done to locate the head outlet away from the waste thru-hull.
Plumbing is very simple: head pump outlet up to bottom of holding tank connecting to a pipe that runs up inside the tank, almost to the top, with a short 90° bend on it. (You can see the pictures on the above links.) There are two air vents in the top (leading outside) to provide air circulation, and a pump-out plate in the deck above the tank. At the tank bottom is an outlet leading to the thru-hull valve.

So what I wound up with is a very simple, reliable, and easy to use set up with a minimum of plumbing and everything happening by gravity ... the only pump being on the toilet, and a system that is easy to flush clean after emptying the tank ... no smells to greet you when you open up the boat :D
Article on K.I.S.S. holding tank systems
weemistermac

Post by weemistermac »

I'm so sorry for not responding sooner. I only just got around to spotting the notification! Thanks very much for the tips!
Stuart. NE Scotland.
"Schönbrunn"
Ballad hull No. 170