Down by the bow

Due to increased amount of spamming attempts all registrations now have to be accepted by the board administrator. After filling in the "register" form, mail the administrator admin<at>balladklubben.se and motivate why you want to join.
northerncaller

Down by the bow

Post by northerncaller »

Hi All

Just bought a Ballad (number 201) and just joined this forum, which I expect to be using a lot in the coming months because she is a project. She's been on land for nearly 4 years and went in the water day before yesterday, in S Devon UK,after a replacement for the old Volvo MD7A, with a brand new Beta 14, so I'm now penniless but happy.

Lots of issues but the immediate one is that she's down at the bow. Not a huge amount but significantly to notice. Is this a common feature or is it because I haven't balanced the boat properly? Does she need balancing? There's a full tank of water in the bow, plus a 10k Bruce and 35 metres of chain. (Haven't checked the width). Plus, of course, two big new batteries. The sails, not yet hacked on, are also stored in the bow but they don't weigh much. There's not much in the cockpit lockers yet. There are two side lockers (no quarter berth) and a large lazarett over the gorgeous transom. And, of course, the Beta, at 90k, weighs considerably less than the Volvo.

Before I start shifting things around does anyone have any ideas.

Cheers!
prjacobs

Re: Down by the bow

Post by prjacobs »

I too noticed my recently launched Ballad is bow-down. Shifting some of the weight of items stored in the V-berth corrected the problem.
My boat also has had an engine replacement (Yanmar 2GMF) which is lighter than the original Volvo. During restoration i moved my batteries (2 group 24 AGM's) to under the quarter berth. This shortened up wire runs considerably!
I have 30m of anchor chain. I used 1/4" G-40 to save on weight over the 5/16".

You mentioned a 10kg Bruce on the bow: I'd be interested to know what kind of mounting is used. I have a 10kg Bruce and so far haven't found a good way to mount it. Maybe a picture of yours ...?
northerncaller

Post by northerncaller »

Hi Peter

Thanks for this. I think I need to look at the weight of the chain. Moving the batteries is a difficult option. As far as the anchor goes I think that's one of the few areas where the Ballad design is lacking. I can't find a convenient place either. I'm waiting for the windlass to be repaired, though and then I might get it sorted. Liked your website. You're obviously very handy, which I am not!

Cheers!

Mike
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Hmmm. Was the Ballad perhaps designed to sit bow-down to its painted waterline? It was a common IOR trick. Such a boat sails more or less level upwind with full crew; at rest, it measures like a shorter boat -- good for handicap rating.

I ask only because the Ballad's doppelganger, the Albin/Norlin Scampi 30, most definitely does stand on its nose. In fact, the engine is commonly tucked in the V-berth for that purpose! Takes about 2' off the static waterline measurement.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... pic=118224

The discussion excerpts an article in Yachting by Rod Johnstone (designer of the J/Boats), on why bow-down trim was popular in IOR boats:

"Bow-down trim tends to reduce (L) and to increase (D). It also tends to increase DSPL slightly, important on lightweight yachts which are assessed a high displacement/length penalty (DLF). In addition, bow-down trim reduces a yacht's static stability by submerging the narrow, deep end and by lifting the wide, shallow end clear of the water. The effect is a slight reduction in (RMC)."
sula

Post by sula »

hi, Sula was bow down until I moved the batteries back to under the quarter berth and got rid of the chain in exchange for rope with a bit of chain,
Ive never dragged. Also remember when the crew are aboard she,ll be level. And , when racing we empty the water tank.And remove the bruce, chain and rope to thecockpit locker,and wow she really comes alive! be warned... excess weight makes for stoggy performance.

hope this helps

Sula
northerncaller

Post by northerncaller »

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It seems that nose down and backside up is a common feature of the Ballad and some have gone to great lengths to get rid of it. In the medium term I might consider shifting some of the chain and moving the engine battery to one of the lockers. (There is no quarter berth). I also might drain the water tank of half its water and keep some in a few containers in a stern locker. If that doesn't work, in the short term, I might need to put some bagged sand in there. I'm going to be cruising, not racing, so the extra weight won't matter hugely.

In the meantime I need to work out how to unblock the sea cock in the head! :)

Cheers!
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Because we will be cruising in places where water is scarce & the Ballad is short on tankage, we are adding a 31 gallon (120l) water tank under the port settee. That should correct both the nose-down issue and the Ballad's typical list to starboard. :D Some jerry jugs of water in the lockers may do the trick for you. Almost certainly the Beta engine is much lighter than the Penta, so you have extra cargo/water/fuel/battery capacity to play with. :)

Any photos of your new boat? We like photos!
northerncaller

Post by northerncaller »

Hey Bob

You suggest I post some photos of Gancia Girl. Here's a couple. When I get the windlass refitted I'll take one of the anchor position, which is not great.

Cheers!

Mike
Attachments
Gancia Girl 5.jpg
Gancia Girl 5.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 30819 times
Gancia Girl 4.jpg
Gancia Girl 4.jpg (68.04 KiB) Viewed 30819 times
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Ooh, pretty. Blue hull and Selden spars -- that's how our Ballad would look if it had been maintained better & if someone knew how to paint a boot stripe. We can't keep the blue, unfortunately. Too hot in the tropics. :( Love the gold cove detail!

Is it just my eyes, or does GG have a lot of forward mast rake? Even allowing for the bow-down trim, it looks like the mast leans forward. Hmm. What size is the furling jib, do you know?
northerncaller

Post by northerncaller »

Hi Bob

Thanks for your comments, although she isn't pretty, she's gorgeous! I don't think there's a forward rake. The top picture isn't level vertically and gives that impression. However, there is the option to tighten the turnbuckle on the backstay and I may do that when I finely tune her. On the boat today doing some fine tuning on the balancing. Another 30k of ballast in the stern. All the electrics are being plumbed in next week so she should then be good to go. By the way, took her out for her first sail last Saturday and got her up to 7 knots OTG, without tide assist, in a F3, gusting 4. All I hoped for.

Cheers!

Mike