#1085 Ongoing Restoration Pictures

Here you can publish nice photos not tied to any specific subject. Other photos are preferrable published together with the text in the other subforums.
northerncaller

Re: #1085 Ongoing Restoration Pictures

Post by northerncaller »

Hey Peter

Have been looking at the fantastic snaps of your restoration project and noticed that, when launched, there was no anchor present. What have you done with it? I only ask because I'm finding mine a bit of a pain while working on the foredeck, especially with the windlass in situ. With no anchor locker, do most owners keep it in a cockpit locker, with an easily undoable shackle for quick transfer to the chain. But then, if the shackle was new enlough to be loosened and tightened by hand it might loosen under load, because it wouldn't be moused. Your views would be appreciated.

Mike
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Hi Mike,
That's one of those things I'm presently working on, looking for a satisfactory solution. I have a 10kg Bruce that i love, but it's too big to sit on the foredeck, same as the 25lb CQR. A nice flat Danforth hung from the pulpit might be nice, but around here they drag easily because of the type of sea weed we have.
So right now I'm thinking about using a 7.5kg Bruce that will sit well in the original anchor roller. I did replace the wee bronze roller with a Delrin one made as big as would fit, and with a deep narrow slot for the Bruce shank. All I need now is a bracket bolted to the deck to hold the tail end,
something like this:
Most of our anchoring is done for short periods and under good conditions. For an overnighter I'd swap the 7.5kg for the 10kg just to be safe. On the shackle pin you can use a zip tie as a temporary safety fastener or better yet a short length of ss wire.

But for now both Bruces are in the cockpit locker and have to carried forward to set.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Have you considered a stern anchoring solution? Especially handy when solo, and used by our Scandinavian friends in fjordland.;) British Columbia is sorta like that. Maybe someone will post photos of theirs; IIRC, Ydalir has an especially smart stern pulpit anchor arrangement. Once you have stopped, you can always walk the rode up to the bow chocks if desired.
northerncaller

Post by northerncaller »

Thanks fellas. Interesting points. You're a mine of information!
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Just a note to say I have changed my web page to a new address:
http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Peter, don't know if you are aware of this. Your restoration project has been mentioned in "Ballad bladet" (small quarterly magazine published by the Danish Ballad association) :-)

http://www.ballad.dk/~/media/Ballad/Fil ... d%204.ashx
Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Thanks, that is a neat newsletter. I enjoyed the trip logs from Birgit and Henrik from Svanemøllen. With a little help from Google Translate we managed to read them. The pictures of the areas they traversed are amazingly like the country side around here where I sail in Southern Coastal British Columbia!

I notice the Newsletter mentions (referring to my pictures) "I do not know the story but the pictures speak almost for themselves 2011-2013"
For the fullnstory check out http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca