Speaker placement (in cabin)

dahlke

Speaker placement (in cabin)

Post by dahlke »

I ordered a couple of Fusion MS-FR6021 (http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine ... /ms-fr6021) speakers (to be used with a Fusion MS-RA50). I want to mount the head unit next to the chart table. Finding a suitable place (in the cabin) to mount the speakers is proving to be a bit of a challenge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures
Sanlen

Re: Speaker placement (in cabin)

Post by Sanlen »

I placed 5.25" speakers in the small bulkheads above the shelf. Those fusions are 6" but should fit without problem.
Attachments
IMGP0359.jpg
IMGP0359.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 25444 times
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Sanlen wrote:I placed 5.25" speakers in the small bulkheads above the shelf. Those fusions are 6" but should fit without problem.
How is the painting/varnishing coming along? :) Looking forward to seeing more pictures :)

Mounting the speakers in the small bulkheads is very high on my list of possible locations :) I was a bit worried about the strength of the bulkheads. Have you had your speakers mounted in that location for a long time? If yes, then I properly shouldn't worry too much ;) I could of course reinforce the bulkhead with some layers of fiberglass.
Mads
Restoration blog
TamTam

Post by TamTam »

Hey,

we mounted 16cm (6,3") Helix speakers in that small bulkheads in 2010.
After sailing about 3500 miles since then, everything is fine with our bulkheads. I don´t think you have to worry about the strength.

Sorry for no better picture ;)
helix.jpg
helix.jpg (55.62 KiB) Viewed 25429 times
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

TamTam wrote:Hey,

we mounted 16cm (6,3") Helix speakers in that small bulkheads in 2010.
After sailing about 3500 miles since then, everything is fine with our bulkheads. I don´t think you have to worry about the strength.
3500 miles seems very reassuring :) Thank you :) I've taken the plunge (mounted the speakers in the small bulkheads).

Mads
Restoration blog
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Is triangles. :) You can cut the center out of a triangle with surprisingly little loss of strength. (Hence, geodesic domes. Most of your forces migrate out to the edges.) Looking good, Mads!
Sanlen

Post by Sanlen »

dahlke wrote:How is the painting/varnishing coming along? :) Looking forward to seeing more pictures :)
Lots of ideas coming up all the time. Newest are to replace all sliding doors with smoke-coloured acrylic and glue teak/coto veneer on the steps and top step/hatch. :D
I had to move outside because too much dust entered the rest of our house (not so popular :lol: ) and this slowed down progress.
dahlke wrote:Have you had your speakers mounted in that location for a long time?
Installed them 1994 and have done 10.000+ miles and some heavy offshore races. And you won't be disappointed with the bass sound 8-)
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Sanlen wrote: Lots of ideas coming up all the time. Newest are to replace all sliding doors with smoke-coloured acrylic and glue teak/coto veneer on the steps and top step/hatch. :D
I had to move outside because too much dust entered the rest of our house (not so popular :lol: ) and this slowed down progress.
That sounds very interesting. Be sure to post some pictures :) I've done all my sanding outside but have been painting/varnishing (indoors) for what seems like an eternity. Hehe, I haven't been able to use one half of my house the last 6 months. Fortunately I'm single so the only one being inconvenienced is myself ;)
Mads
Restoration blog
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Bob McGovern wrote:Is triangles. :) You can cut the center out of a triangle with surprisingly little loss of strength. (Hence, geodesic domes. Most of your forces migrate out to the edges.) Looking good, Mads!
Hehe, my initial thought was actually to PM you Bob :) I thought you might be able to shine some light on what would be a good location to mount the speakers without compromising anything "load bearing". I had no idea mounting speakers in the small bulkheads was so popular.

Thanks, Bob :) I bet it's still to cold for you to do any work on the boat? Fingers crossed for an early spring - and lots of pictures ;)
Mads
Restoration blog
TamTam

Post by TamTam »

We replaced our sliding doors with coloured acryl. It looks nice and kind of modern:-)
Because of the mirror effect, the kitchen area looks bigger.

And again I have no better picture, its a snapshot from a video...:-)
kitchen.jpg
kitchen.jpg (108.91 KiB) Viewed 25412 times